Knowledge Palace

Discuss and exchange knowledge and information on single board..!

How do professional ballerinas cross train?

helen01

How do professional ballerinas cross train?

Post by helen01 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 pm

i'm 21, i still have another year of academic college to finish before i go audition anywhere or even think about being a professional... i am however trying to maintain my shape and strength by taking ballet classes 5-6 days a week.
but it's only one class a day, and it's only 90 minutes long.
it's nowhere near the same as the 6-7 hours a day that professionals do.

i did try cross training at a gym, but my trainer was just this young body builder guy that didn't know much about ballet, so i think he really did more harm than good.

Gelsey Kirkland saw something in me that she like because i was accepted to her pre-professional summer intensive- however, i'd like to surprise her by losing some weight (mainly in my thighs) and improving my technique and strength because i personally feel that i was horribly out of shape (and jiggly! ugh) when i auditioned.

so i'm 5'8" and about 127 pounds right now.
i think ideally they'd like me to lose another ten pounds.
(for you people thinking that's unrealistic and unhealthy- this is the ballet world- ideal body types are distorted, and i'm completely accustomed to it, so it's not weird to me)

so if you could please give me some pointers. what can i do in the gym that will work WITH ballet training and not against it?
is the treadmill safe? i try to avoid that cuz i don't want to "shorten" my muscles.
what kind of stretches should i be doing?
how do i get the extra chub off my legs?

any information would be greatly greatly appreciated.
thanks Smile

crossfit seattle

Current date/time is Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:14 am